Over the years, our written communication has altered. We went from sending texts to sending emojis that replace texts, so much so that someone in the far future would look at our messages the same way we look at that of cavemen. And while emojis are great at helping us communicate our emotions, GIFs do a much better job.
GIFs enable us to demonstrate a short scene of our exact reaction while instantly communicating deep thoughts. Besides, it is much better to send a GIF than a boring old text. But you might wonder, “how to make a GIF on iPad?”
If you are looking for the answers, you have come to the right place. Keep reading to discover how to make a GIF on your iPad.
While there are many ways to make a GIF, we will only focus on the 4 simple ways to do so.
How to Make a GIF on iPad Using Third-Party Apps
There are three other ways to make a GIF on your iPad; however, this method differs from others on this list as it requires a third-party app such as GIPHY. GIPHY is a third-party application enabling users to instantly convert their videos into GIFs.
Furthermore, the app can be used for free and doesn’t come with a steep learning curve. These reasons make it one of the best apps for making GIFs on iPad or iPhones.
The first thing you need to do is to head to the App Store and download GIPHY if you already don’t have it on your ios device.
- Open the GIPHY app and select the + icon
- Select the camera icon and select a video from your photo gallery
- If the video is too long, you might have to trim it using the slider
- Tap Continue and select the purple arrow at the bottom right
- And you’re done; you have created your own animated image using GIPHY
How to Make a GIF on iPad From Videos
Creating GIFs from videos isn’t more difficult than creating an animated image from a still. However, in this case, to create your new GIF, you will require a shortcut that converts videos to GIFs. Since videos are a completely different format to photos—being longer and typically larger—your shortcut converter might have to trim some of the content.
You should note that converting videos into animated GIFs can take some time. Furthermore, ensure that iPad is running the latest operating system. Follow the steps below to create a GIF from a video:
- Find the Shortcut app and head to Gallery
- Search for the Video to GIF shortcut and select the + icon to add it to your shortcuts
- Head to the My Shortcuts menu and tap the Video to GIF shortcut
- Select your video from the available ones. Depending on the length, you might have to trim it using the slider
- Tap the Save icon and then preview your new GIF
- You can choose to share the GIF by selecting the Share Icon. Alternatively, you could select Done
- You should note that selecting Done doesn’t save the GIF onto your ios device. To do this, you will need to tap the Share icon and find the Save image option
How to Make a GIF on iPad Using Burst Photos and the Shortcuts App
You would be pleased to know that you can create an animated image from live photos, videos, and burst images using the Shortcuts app on your iOS device. This is perhaps one of the easiest ways to make a GIF.
The first thing you need to do is to ensure you have the Shortcut app available on your iPad. If you don’t, you will have to head to the App Store and download the app.
Once done, you can then follow the steps below:
- Open the Shortcut application
- Tap the Gallery icon located at the bottom right
- Find the search bar and enter “Convert live photo/burst to GIF.” You should be presented with a banner that has the + icon on it
- Tap the + icon to add the converter
- The next step is to head to the My Shortcuts, located at the bottom left of the screen. Here, you should be able to see the Convert Burst to GIF banner clearly.
- All you have to do is simply convert the Burst Photo to GIF by selecting the three horizontal dots located at the top right
- Tap Burst
- Select Live photo and then close the menu using the X icon. Then tap done and wait for the process to be completed
- Once done, you can then save your new GIF in your photo albums.
You should note that this way of creating a GIF image only works with Burst photos by default. If you already have a Burst image, you don’t have to worry about changing it to a Live Photo before you convert live photo to an animated GIF.
Need to crop something out of your photo before sending it? Learn how to do so on your iPad
How to Make a GIF on iPad From Live Photos Via the Photos App
Most iOS device owners can’t get enough of the live photo feature. They enable us to see a few seconds before and after a picture is taken. However, most people don’t know that you can convert live photos into GIFs. You simply need to give your live photo a repetitive effect.
You can convert live photos using the Photos app on your iPad, iPhone, or any other iOS device. This is perhaps the easiest way to make a GIF. Follow the steps below, and you are on your way:
- Open the Photos app on your iOS device
- Head to Albums
- Select the Live Photos album found under Media Types
- Then select the image you would like to convert into a GIF
- At the top left, choose the Loop option on the Live icon menu
That’s all there is to it. You can now share your previously converted live photo as a GIF.
Where To Next?
This blog is a blog dedicated to using modern computing devices to run and manage a business. If you’re interested in using an iPad for your business, either as an entrepreneur, a small business owner or for your employees to use I recommend reading the following articles: